Some advice from a professional

March 5, 2010

Last wednesday we had a meeting with Rolf Koster, who is an expert on plastics and molding. We discussed the feasibiliy of our project and the steps needed to achieve our goals.

The opinion of an expert was like a treshold for our specific research, so we were glad to hear Rolf was very enthousiastic. He showed us a plastics shredder and the molding machine avaible on our faculty. We discussed wat kind of tool we should use for the extrusion of the PE into the reprap. Instead of using a screw to force the PE through the extrusion head in our case it might be better to use a piston.

During the rest of our we project we can count on the help of Rolf, which makes a great difference for us because his expertise on plastics helps us a lot. We will have several more meeting in the coming weeks.

http://www.io.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=678364b5-85ae-45d2-971c-1d56a1dde431&lang=en

First prints!

March 3, 2010

After some calibrations by putting down a test raft (multiple times actually), we decided to print our first object: the mini mug supplied by Bits from Bytes.


Still a long way to go, as you can see. We also immediately decided not to put too much effort in printing objects, because it takes too much time and is not really needed for our project. We are afraid we will loose ourselves in it because it is such a fun toy. We will however, read into the background of extruding plastics to get optimal quality, so we can try to apply that to actually printing objects.

Getting the Darwin to work

March 3, 2010

First task for Gijs and me (Jorn) was to get the RepRap Darwin, from the Bits to Bytes RapMan 3.0, to work. First, we tried printing a model without calibration, which failed horribly. Next, we started to work with the online RepRap.org documentation, which gave a file error while inserting the SD card with a GCode file into the RepRap. We found out the BfB RapMan has its own programme for converting STL to GCode, so we tried that. First, we calibrated the machine again. Some test rafts were printed, the first of which went horribly wrong.

3th of march

March 3, 2010

As told we decided to try and create a shredder for domestic plastics and use the filaments as input for the RepRap printer. In order to meet this goal within 6 weeks we will take the following steps. This week the variety of domestic plastics will me archived. Next to this the different shredder/milling processes will be reviewed (internet-links, scientific papers, books and patents). At last it is important to get a good idea of the different extrusion processes that are available. To get an idea of this we will take a closer look at the injection molding machine of our faculty, and other extruders. The result will be published on this blog.

First post! Woohoo!

March 3, 2010

We are a student team at the Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering of Delft University of Technology. For the course ‘Prototyping Lab’ at the Department of Design Engineering, we are doing a research based project on the RepRap. After some Literature Reviewing, we came up with a subject for our project. We decided to look into the subject of recycling. Our ultimate goal is to use a HDPE milk bottle to print something using the available Bits from Bytes Darwin RepRap. We split the subject up in two parts: the shredding of the bottle to ready to use granules and the extruding of granules on the RepRap (using factory granules in the beginning). At this place we will keep track of our progressions.