It has been a while since the last update. Since our last post, a lot has happened. March 31 we had to give a presentation about our work, so we were working hard to get everything finished. The motor was turning in the right direction, but since it was taking so long, we already had a backup motor in place.
Since we already projected that our aluminium screw would be too soft for the process, an other one was already made, this time of steel. Last week, we had everything in place for our presentation at a science fair: two working test setups.
However, we did not have time to get some test results yet. During the presentation, it turned out we had done some thing a bit too quick to get everything ready in time. There were some issues with both setups, with the worst being one of the screws that was bent. The presentation however, was a success, being voted the best presentation of the course.
Now, after a long Easter weekend, we will be working towards testing again. However, we have only limited time. Next Friday, we must hand in our paper and our project comes to an end. There will be no time for us to develop our results into a real extruder design for the RepRap, only some concept drawings and recommendations. We are sorry, but we have to make choices to get this project finished in time.
We did however, speak to some gentlemen of the Haagse Hogeschool, the Delft department of Product Development. They have showed interest in putting a student team to really develop the toolhead, using our results (among others, offcourse) as a start.
When we are ready to test, an update will be posted again.